So you need a web site for your buiness or orgainzation. Where do you start? A friend will say I know someone that makes web sites or a family member will say I am making web sites for some friends. This is all well and good if you are creating a web site for your family. A personal journy through life. A place to put your throughts.
Gettng anyone to create your web site is a process. You need to get this right if it is your business or non profit organisation. You need to step back and ask a few questions of yourself, your board, or partners. The more prepared you are the better the result.
- What is the purpose of this site?
- What do we expect from this site?
- What is a conversion?
- What do we have to spend on this site?
- Do we need to hook it up to Social Medias?
- Do we need a logo?
- Who is going to write the copy?
- What colors do we want?
- Name 3 web sites that we like.
Then it is time to talk to a designer or developer about your site. Ask them a few questions:
- What other sites have you done?
- Do you manage the site once it is up?
- Can you train us to manage the site?
- What is your process? It is best to get a written document so you can take it all in and ask questions.
- What are the costs for creation and on going costs for hosting and management?
- Have you created a web site like this for someone else? Can I see it?
- Can you show me 10 or 15 web sites you have built?
- What content management system do you work on?
- Do you have referances? Can I talk to them?
- How do you bid the project?
- How do you deal with changes to the project once it has started?
These Questions will get you started on the road to building your website. Remember to check in and get milestones from the start. There seems that there is always a reason and it always takes more time to finish than first throught so be ready for that. If you need your website in a month then maybe you want to have a phased approach. Get a page up now that serves your current needs and then make the website what it needs to be. Also remember that websites are always changing and growing, they're never really done. It is always a work in progress. So don't use a Site under Constuction sign on your site.
I will talk about this more over the next few days.